Truck Helper/Dockworker - Calgary DRC
Do you have a passion for Thrift? Are you motivated, looking for a role with a purpose, and have a desire to make a difference in your local community? We offer a unique way to serve through retail and recycling! We are looking to fill 2 positions (please see below for hours)
Our team members demonstrate our core competencies of collaboration, communication, composure, and being service focused in everything they do. If you are looking to further your career in retail management, consider joining our team. We offer a competitive total compensation package, extensive leadership development, and personal growth opportunities.
As a Truck Helper/ Dock Worker you will assist in the efficient and effective reclamation, processing and/or distribution of goods and donations. The incumbent will be knowledgeable of and strictly follow all legislative safety procedures.
Our ideal candidate is a Distribution/recycling enthusiast who is customer focused, can maintain their composure, and has the ability to communicate and build relationships. In doing so, the candidate will be action oriented, drive results, and will strive to become an expert in their role through continuous self-development and learning.
Truck Helper Job Tasks
• Maintains a safe and healthy work environment through compliance with Health & Safety regulation
• Must adhere to CVOR and organizational policies on vehicle safety and operation
• Attentive to the safe keeping of The Salvation Army property including donations
• Provide guests and donors with courteous and diplomatic service
• Responsible to assist with furniture/large donation pick ups
• Responsible to assist in loading and unloading goods at the Distribution and Recycling Centre, Stores, and other destinations
• Assists maintaining Distribution and Recycling Centre clean and organized as time permits
• Greet donors and accept donations at the Distribution and Recycling Centre
• Represent the Core Values in all that you do
Truck Helper Skills and Qualifications
• Minimum Grade 10 or equivalent
• Attentive to safe performance of your job
• Ability to follow rules and work safely
• Results driven with a focus on service
• Action oriented and able to communicate effectively while maintaining your composure in challenging situations
• Valid driver’s licence preferred and may be required to provide a driver’s abstract satisfactory to the employer
• Frequently exposed to a variety of environmental factors
• Flexible in work hours to achieve predetermined deadlines
• Substantial physical exertion is required for lifting and movement of heavy boxes and furniture – up to 50 lbs frequently and 75 lbs occasionally
We provide a passionate fast paced community environment where you will be immersed in our operations and service. You will experience firsthand the impact of our work in our communities.
Competitive compensation including:
• Staff discounts
• Employer paid RRSPs starting at 4% of earnings with additional contribution matching opportunities
• Vacation time starting at 6% (3 weeks)
• Paid sick time
• The opportunity to learn new skills, job advancement, and recognition programs
• Employee and Family Assistance Plan
• Long term disability coverage
You can expect
To join a hands-on work environment where you will be required to physically move through our operation while adhering to daily goals;
We are operational 7 days a week and schedule our employees based on operational needs; days, evenings, and weekends (Please Note: Our stores are open for shopping Monday to Saturday and Sundays we are open to receive donations).
As part of our ongoing commitment to ensuring a safe and healthy work environment for all of our employees, CSA approved footwear is required for all Retail and DRC positions within NRO.
In support of our commitment to a healthy and safe workplace and community, The Salvation Army (TSA) has a vaccination requirement for all employees in Canada. The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on the condition of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be required to provide proof of full vaccination, prior to their employment start date. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to provincial/territorial human rights legislation. If the candidate is unable to vaccinate for a reason protected by the Human Rights Code, a request for accommodation can be submitted and written proof satisfactory to TSA will be required.
We are looking to fill 2 positions at this time:
Position #1: Hours of Work: Monday to Friday (8:00AM – 4:30PM)
Position #2: Hours of Work: Tuesday to Saturday (8:00AM – 4:30PM)
Resumes are to be submitted to Jason.Bourdeau@salvationarmy.ca by Friday, January 21, 2022. In the email subject line please identify the location and position being applied for.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salvation Army Thrift Store – National Recycling Operations (NRO) supports the mission of the Salvation Army by generating funds and influencing positively the communities in which it operates. As part of one of Canada’s largest national charitable organizations, we adhere to the core values of Hope, Service, Dignity and Stewardship. By working with us, you help support The Salvation Army’s programs, services and emergency relief efforts by recycling and selling donated goods.
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.